Sunday, December 23, 2012

Getting closer!


In less than 2 weeks I will be beginning my journey to Alaska.  I have purchased my flight and shipped out $300 worth of boxes (eek).  I packed some clothing and a ton of food.  Since there is only a tiny store, I needed to ship out non-perishables such as Ramen noodles, mac 'n cheese, and pasta.  I went to Denunzio's and bought 3 jars of spaghetti sauce, surrounded them in bubble wrap and shipped that, too!  I will be flying to Anchorage with a layover in Denver and then spending the night in Anchorage.  The next day I will fly to my village: St. Michael.  This should be quite the task because I will need to have on all of my winter gear for when I land.  I am just going to be on a tiny regional airplane that I am sure will be pretty cold.  I am really hoping that the weather is above freezing when I arrive.  Luckily I have experienced 0 degree weather and even weather below 0, but anything colder than -10 is going to be tough on me.  I know that it will get as cold as -40 but hopefully not too often.  I have some fleece lined tights to wear underneath my pants and today my sister is making me some hand warmers.  While it will be cold, I do think that I am prepared for it and will be OK.    Here is a map showing where I will be living.  I will be quite close to Russia!


Today in church my pastor told everyone about my trip and explained a bit about what I will be doing.  Afterwards, I was talking to a man who was a commercial fisherman in the Kodiak Islands.  He said that these islands are quite warm and don't ever freeze.  He said that one of the islands is actually a rainforest!  I will have a few days off for "spring" break in March so I think I would like to visit there.  I doubt I will be going back to Alaska so this will be my one opportunity to go everywhere I want.

As my trip gets closer and I begin packing, I am seeing that it might be tricky to fit everything into my suitcase.  On my flight from Anchorage to St. Michael, there is a 50 lb weight limit on luggage.  That seems like a lot but I know that I will get to that limit quite quickly (especially once I pack my frozen food in dry ice).

I am definitely in need of book recommendations.  The past few books I have read have been a bit boring and I know that I will have a lot of reading to do.  I loved the Hunger Games and Divergent series.  I am definitely into suspense and thriller type novels so if you know of a good book, let me know!

















4 comments:

  1. If you like The Hunger Games you may also like Maze Runner, by James Dashner. This is the first book of a trilogy.

    Also try The Water Wars, by Cameron Stracher.

    Plus, if you haven't read Stieg Larsson's "The Girl" trilogy, it is definitely worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's free Nook book looks like a good one. You do not need a Nook to obtain their free titles. All that you need is a B&N account set up and the Nook reader app on your PC, tablet, or phone. I read Nook books on my Android phone, and my Windows and Mac PCs. Here is the link to the Free Fridays books: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/The-NOOK-Blog/bg-p/Unbound/label-name/free%20fridays

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the distance calculations - 292 miles to the nearest point in Russia. Just a little bit farther than Pittsburgh to Philadelphia so not visible, but quite close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Under the Dome, by Stephen King is only $1.99 at B&N. This is the Nook book, which is supposedly a great 1100-page read. Not sure how long it will be offered at that price, so act quickly if you want it.

    ReplyDelete