Sunday, January 27, 2013

Busy times in St. Michael!

It has been quite some time since I have posted an update.  I have been really busy and despite living in a town of only 400 people, it seems as though I am always running around doing something!  I have really been settling into a routine here and started to acclimate to the lifestyle.

This past weekend, I worked at the concession stand for our basketball games on Friday night and Saturday morning.  I have to say, it was a little bit sad how much junk food we sold to these kids and their parents.  Ice cream cones, nachos, popcorn, candy, chips, and pop.  And this is what they were eating for dinner!  The next morning, one of the kids came up to the booth with her grandma and her grandma asked "What do you have that's breakfast-y."  Well of course we don't have anything breakfast-y so she settled for M&M's and a caffeine free pop.  The kids do eat a lot of junk food.  There is a really nice selection at the store and a decent amount of produce, but they really want the chips and pop.  Thankfully, they do get breakfast and a hot lunch at school.

As I have said before, everyone here loves basketball.  The whole town comes out to watch the game and cheer on the players.  Our boys' team has won 2 games and our girls' team hasn't won yet, but I give them a lot of credit for getting out their and playing their hardest each game.  This is the first year in 7 years that our school has had a girls' team they don't have much experience yet.  It's really fun to see everyone come and support the teams, win or lose.

Our Little Dribblers playing against the middle schoolers before the high school game.

Go Storm!
Surprisingly, my social calendar has also been pretty full lately!  Every day after school, a few of the teachers and I do an exercise video in one of the classrooms.  This is a really fun way to burn off some energy at the end of the day and catch up with my colleagues.  I also have been hanging out with some of the other young teachers here and we cook and watch movies together.  Yesterday my friend and I went over to the 5th grade teacher's house and we made homemade noodles.  They were delicious and it was a great way to spend the afternoon.  I was definitely nervous moving up here that I would be bored or wouldn't have anything to do, but life here has actually been great!  I have been able to work on my homework for grad school (7 more weeks!) and still spend a lot of time with my friends.  I know it has been less than a month, but I don't even feel like I miss eating out or shopping...yet.  I am sure once March and April come around I will be missing those things.

I am hoping to maybe travel somewhere in March for my spring break.  I am not really sure where I want to go though.  I will definitely stay here in Alaska, but I want to go somewhere really unique since I may not get the chance again to be in Alaska.

Well this post has been quite long.  I will try to be better about updating more frequently so there is less to talk about.  Thanks for reading and for keeping up with my mini updates on facebook!

Walking home from school

Making noodles!

The finished product


Jessica and Michael posing with our finished noodles



No comments:

Post a Comment