Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lost Luggage and Miniature Airplanes

Ok folks! Here is the post you have all been waiting for.  I made it St. Michael and am settling in just fine.  I haven't really gone anywhere in the village except for my apartment and school, but I am sure that as time goes on I will be able to explore a bit more....although there really isn't too much to explore!  I really can see from one side of the village to the other, so I guess I don't have to worry too much about getting lost.

Speaking of getting lost......I had a near panic attack in Anchorage when my luggage did not arrive.  My flight from Pittsburgh connected through Denver and we landed a bit late.  I almost didn't make my connection so I was definitely worried that my bags wouldn't make it.  I was right to worry.  I have giant purple suitcases and as I was standing in the Anchorage airport at 11pm local time (3am Eastern time) I saw every color suitcase drop onto the carousel, but not mine.  To make matters worse, when I called United Airlines to find out about my missing bags, they had no idea where they were!  I thought that was what those bar codes are for!  Apparently not, they are just for decoration.  Finally I found out that my bags were in Seattle and they MIGHT be placed on a flight to Anchorage the next morning.  Luckily I had a hotel so I went there and waited and my luggage did arrive in Anchorage and I picked it up before I headed to St. Michael.

The ride to St. Michael sure was an adventure as well.  When I checked in at Era Alaska Airlines, they not only weighed my luggage, but also asked how much I weigh!  I wasn't overly thrilled about that, but I told them and didn't even lie!  I figured it was better to tell the truth than to lie about my weight and end up in a messed up airplane.  I do have pictures of the plane I took from Anchorage to Unalakleet; however, I wasn't thinking and took them on my phone rather than my camera.  I will try to find a way to get them onto my computer and post them here.  My plane into Unalakleet was not too bad.  There was about 16 seats, but they were not full.  I also had a delicious chocolate chip cookie and some tea so I was good to go.  There was a lot of turbulence during takeoff, but once we got to cruising altitude it was fine.  I then took another plane from Unalakleet to St. Michael.  This one only had seats for 7 people and all of our luggage was just stacked in the back of the plane.  It was only a 20 minute flight from one side of the sound to the other and if I had to guess, we were only about 5-6,000 feet up.  I actually didn't feel nervous on it at all!  When we landed my principal picked me up and brought me to my apartment.  Overall, it was a pretty easy day, especially once I got my luggage.

Now I am here and have my classroom all set up.  I will take some pictures of my class and post those the next time around because this is already really long.  I have a bit more work that I need to get done here in the room before I head back to my apartment.  For now, here are a few of the pictures I have taken.  They aren't too exciting, but I will make sure I take some more!


My kitchen.

My bedroom

My apartment building

The view of my school from the porch of my apartment.  I will be walking to and from every day.

A view of the village during my walk to school.

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes Kris, it looks cold, but heck it is cold here too. I love you and miss you but I am so happy for you and even happier for the kids that you will be teaching.

    Love ya!

    Aunt Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristie,
    Glad you landed safely. So excited about your teaching adventure. What a great opportunity!

    Cousin Kate

    ReplyDelete