Friday, January 11, 2013

Week 1

I finished my first week here in Alaska and it has been surprisingly uneventful!  My students are very well behaved and really cute.  I am already starting to figure out their personalities and have some great ideas for the upcoming weeks.  Today we had our class council which was a great opportunity to discuss some of the things we need to work on for next week.  Things have been so busy that I haven't really had a chance to go over procedures since I had to jump right into content.  The kids have really done a great job adjusting to a new teacher and I have really enjoyed getting to know them.

The weather has also been quite mild.  We had a blizzard the other night but by morning the weather had really cleared up.  The wind hasn't been bad and the temperature has pretty much been in the teens and 20's.  There have been a few days where I have been walking to school and someone has passed me in their Honda (an ATV) and picked me up so that has been really nice.  The walk is really not bad though.  Yesterday I was walking with one of my students and she didn't want to walk on the road so we went "by tundra."  We did have some really bad wind and snow when I was walking home this past Wednesday.  I just bundled up, followed the lights, and made it home OK.  I was very proud of myself.

The big sport here is basketball.  There was a girls' game tonight and tomorrow is the boys' game.  The really cool thing is that since all of these villages are so far apart, they actually fly the teams from village to village to play.  I am planning on going to the game tomorrow so I am looking forward to seeing what that will be like

So far I have really been enjoying it here.  I am already planning to rearrange my classroom and will hopefully be doing that tomorrow.   I am sure some people are curious to see more pictures of the village.  However, it has been difficult to take pictures because the only time it is light out I am at school.  Once it starts to get lighter, I will take more pictures of the village.  I did take some pictures of the kids today and they are quite adorable! If you have any questions about my experience, please let me know and I will try to answer them!  Thanks for reading! :)


One of my favorites :)






3 comments:

  1. omg cutie patooties! your class is so small! must be a blessing after philly. hope you're loving this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small class size is so nice! And we are differentiated for reading so I only have 8 during that time. I do love it so far! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh Kris so stinking cute! You are too cool! So proud of you my beautiful neice! Thanks for the update-love you- xoxo- Aunt Suz

    ReplyDelete